Saturday 14 May 2011

MANCHESTER 10K..BACK TO MY ROOTS

38,000 are said to be entered for tomorrw's big race with Haile Gebrselassie, Craig Mottram, Chris Thompson, Sergiy Lebid etc leading our orange wave out at 10.34 a.m.  For us lesser mortals down the field it'll be  a case of elbows out and hope for the best in the first mile or so until the field thins out a bit.
  The leaders will have no shelter from a strong westerly on the way out to Old Trafford and Salford Quays but I'll be looking for some young fit guys to shelter behind and as last year come through (hopefully) on the way back.
  Many would say just run and enjoy it but I've actually had an unusually good ease down for this one with just 4, 4, 3, and 2 mile runs since Tuesday's track session.
  So all set for the race until ....Friday  night when I think I had a reaction to something I'd eaten and suffered extreme palpitations which kept  me awake until 4.a.m. this morning. Typical just when I needed a good night's sleep!  Hopefully won't impact on tomorrow's race which will be my 134th 10K but hopefully not the slowest!
  I'm going over solo tomorrow morning so the plan is to park well out of town and run in as the warm up.  As last year I'll be covering part of the route (7 miles) I used to cover on morning runs to school.  So it'll be a nostagic warm up once again.  Just have to find somewhere to hide my warm up gear whilst I'm racing!  
                 TV coverage starts at 10.00a.m. BBC 2.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully you'll get a better nights sleep and be ready for a good run tomorrow. Best of luck, John

    p.s. The athletics track at Boston was quite impressive, thanks for looking it up.

    ReplyDelete