Monday 14 March 2011

Week concludes with moor, moor , moor!

 Whilst being pleased with 43.28 in that "comeback"  10K race  the strain is clear to see on this cropped shot taken at 9K.  On the positive side both legs stood up pretty well and in the week following I've been able to maintain the "rebuild".
  Unlike forner times I allowed 4 days of easy/steady running to elapse before even thinking about attempting a quality session.  But as gales hit the country on Thursday  I abandoned the planned track session.  27 m.p.h. westerly winds would have left me motionless on the back straight. . Instead I opted for 1.5 miles jog into the wind on the canal,  with 3 hard miles with the wind behind leaving me 1.5 jog recovery.
  An easy 4 on the grass on Friday.  I say easy. I'm using this run as a "style" session at the moment ; really trying  make a return to my forefoot lead gait, with the head up and back straight.  In short trying not to run like an old, grey wrinkly!
I decided to popstpone a long run run at the weekend with the race still in the legs and just went for 8 on Saturday followed as usual by a trail run on Sunday, yesterday.
   I avoided the busy Wharfedale leisure trails by returning to Barden Moor.    I opted for a clockwise circuit which meant a 2 mile uphill testing slog into a chilling westerly;  fortunately, I had looked at the weather forecast and hadn't been deceived by the March sunshine.   So was dressed to suit.  The second mile was timed at 12.27!
Downhill then to the upper reservoir and of  a chance for a return to normal form and pace.


  This 6 mile circuit  brought  the week's  total to 43 and the year's total to 346 lifting the average to a more respectable 34.6.  Respectable all things considered but still progress to be made. But I shall not returning to the training of 25 years ago, as outlined below........
1986
 Continuing a look back 25 years,  a fortnight after that Malta Marathon  I had run a 7 mile race in Rochdale (3rd) and on March 16th  tackled a half marathon which closed off one of my biggest weeks ever with 91 miles.   Bear in mind that the following was made easier by the fact that being self employed my working day in the shop was very flexible.
  MONDAY           A.M.    8      P.M.     8................................16
  TUESDAY           A.M.    6      P.M.     21xHILL (10)...........16
  WEDNESDAY    18 MILES (2.03)......................................18
  THURSDAY       A.M.    4      P.M.     10 INC 8X400...........14
   FRIDAY            EASY 6......................................................6
   SATURDAY      EASY 6......................................................6
   SUNDAY            HALF MARATHON  10TH 72 MINS   15............total 91
                                         (Calverley. Undulating)

  With the April Bristol marathon in mind there had been no real ease down for this half marathon.
Hence the 18 on the Wednesday and 8 x 400 on the Thursday.  Those were the days!
 
  



                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment