Saturday 18 September 2010

Great North Run..........the conception.

 I encountered no runners at all Saturday morning on a 7 mile trail run through the peaceful Timble Plantation and around Swinsty reservoir.  Perhaps all the normal culprits are up in Newcastle preparing for the Great  North Run!
 There are many enduring memories and indelible images of the GNR that we all probably share.  Local legend Mike Mc Leod winning the first, Steve Kenyon (Salford) running 62.44, Benson Masya winning, again and again, sadly no longer with us. Supern ladies,  Grete Waitz, Rosa Mota, Ingrid Kristiansen, Liz Mc Colgan, Paula Radcliffe  etc.  Alan Dent outsprinting Kevin Keegan......Nell Mc Andrew dressed as Superwoman ....tops for me.....Then...the Kenyans!
 But for me the most interesting shots are of the initial meeting at the Swallow Hotel.  Brendan Foster, inspired by the Round The Bays Race in Auckland, New Zealand invited  four intrigued  friends from Gateshead Harriers  to discuss the possibility of a race never before seen in the UK.  A race not just for established club runners but for a much wider non running public.
 We see JOHN CAINE,  with JOHN TRAINOR  making a point to DAVE ROBERTS, BRENDAN FOSTER and MAX COLEBY


                             
                           Thirty years later...............see tomorrow! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Terry!

    It was great to meet you at Swinsty Reservoir the other week during one of my final training runs for the GNR. Thank you for the motivation to run that final mile. Thought I would let you know that I finished it in 2 hrs 33 mins - which may seem forever to you, but I thought it would take me at least 3 hours with the amount of training I'd done so I'm pretty chuffed. I actually really enjoyed it, and have decided to join a local running club now so that I keep motivated.
    Thanks for the encouragement/telling off. I've learned my lesson for next year!
    Rosie Sherwood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Rosie. Glad to read you are going to join a club. Memebership will no doubt see you running quite a few more races before next year's GNR which you will run in well under 2 hours. Honest!
    See you at the res. soon! Keep it up!!
    Best wishes, Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me in your list of famous names (I am obviousley the odd one out. Glad to see that the GNR is still attracting some people to join an athletics/running club as in your comments above

    ReplyDelete