Wednesday 10 March 2010

WEDNESDAY CALL UP

  A.C. Milan's David beckham was interviewed tonight after coming on for  the last third of the game against his former side Manchester United. A game which saw United humble the Italian "giants" by 4 goals to nil, 7-2 on aggregate.  He was asked if he thought he would ever play at Old trafford again.  He said he doubted it.
  I turned to my wife Pat and said he should take up running.  He could be making the team for years to come!   In 1968, as a "senior" rookie I was called up to Sale Harrier's 12 man road relay team for the Northern championships.  I ran a long leg, second fastest on the leg (sure they got their maths wrong!..pre computers!!) and helped the team to third position in a star studded event.  At the age of 19 I was able to share the stage with world record holders (Derek Ibbotson of Longwood)  and Olympians like Ron Hill then running for Bolton United Harriers. 4.75 miles in 22.19...those were the days!  4.42 mileing.
  Today,  I had an email from Sale Harriers confirming that I've made the squad again.........except 42 years later it will only be our "C" team.  The team manager has listed 17 names so I'm not certain to run but it would be quite good to turn out for the event which we are hosting as part of our centenary celebrations.
                       All being well that will be my next event a week on Sunday.
  A return to familiar ground for todays's run with a 7 mile trail run. Again legs felt pretty good.  I'm not hung up on "streaks" of uninterrupted day's running like Mr. Hill as above but I am quite pleased that it's now 34 weeks since I've recorded a Zero on the training sheet and that wasn't running related......I strained my back cleaning the car!   That's another job I pay someone else to do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment