Wednesday 3 February 2010

SAVING THE BEST FOR LAST!

Great times recorded at the track today..for 800 metres.....averaging 2: 35......sadly I was doing 6oos!!!

   Several factors dictated the choice of session for today's Seedhill efforts. I wanted to progress. Firstly,in terms of total distance completed, having done 5k, then 6k in the last 2 visits since the snow.  Secondly, there was  a need to get the legs moving at a faster pace. Consequently, I went for 12 x 600 to give me 7200 metres of effort (4.5 miles). Question was could I manage to dip below 7 minute pace overall. Looking back to mid March 2009 I'd done 6x 600 averaging 2:34.3 so doing 12 I thought if I could keep them all under 2:40 I'd be quite happy.
   Fears that the Nelson track might be white rather than red were unfounded and whilst experiencing very cold conditions , for once, there was no unforgiving wind.  The first 6 went reasonably well averaging 2:38.
But again lapses in concentration in this solo run session added several seconds on a coupler of the reps.
   Over the last 6 the concentration was improved . Better arm action, higher knees and more "forefoot" emphasis. The reps started to flow a lot better. I felt i was running rather than shuffling fast. Average being 2:33 for the second half........saving the best for last 2:28...the best speed for 2010.
   Nevertheless, no matter what anyone says about the inevitability of losing speed with age it is hard to accept that I could once run faster for a marathon (5.35/mile) than I did for 600 metres today!  On the other hand, looking back to February 1999 (Keighley track) I ran a 8x600 session and was only 20 secs. faster than that last one today.  2 seconds per year?  Perhaps that "ain't"  too bad after all......

No comments:

Post a Comment