Wednesday 13 January 2010

TIME TO GET A GRIP?

I'm sat here at the desk whilst watching BBC Look North.  They are reporting on the traumatic effects of the freezing rain which fell in the region overnight,  largely on (seemingly) ungritted roads.   Multiple pile ups, people crossing black iced roads by crawling on hands and knees!  I knew there would be a problem as soon as I left the house and found the car cover which I'd managed to put on yesterday, totally iced up.  Now they are saying the roads were griitted but the freezing rain washed it away!  Anyway, never one to give up easily I descended the ice slopes of Ben Rhydding  very cautiously;  crossed the toll bridge and found the road up to Denton and Askwith perfectly runnable! Amazing.  I was able to get back up via Valley Drive and Cow Pasture; both clear of ice.  Managed just less than 7. I feel quite fortunate,  firstly to have survived today on starting out and not joining the massive queues in Airedale A.& E. and secondly to then have put a few good miles in when the majority in the region were struggling so badly. Whoever or whatever was to blame.  I can see much interest , if conditions continue, in  these 2 new shoes from INOV8 which both feature tungsten tipped metal dobs designed to provide maximum grip in forest, wet rock, snow and ice!  Could be time to get a grip!


No comments:

Post a Comment