Friday 22 January 2010

LOOKING FOR THE GREEN, RED AND WHITE !

                                                                                                                                                                                           I know from the FASTRAX part of the business, supplying club vests, that there are some fairly young clubs who have already changed the design of their club more than once.  In contrast the vest I'll be looking for particularly tomorrow at the NORTHERN at Blackburn , green with white and red hoops was adopted by SALE HARRIERS in 1929 and been maintained ever since.  This photo shows the 1935 team. Presumably the suited man is the team manager and the gentleman with the towel is the "trainer".

                                  Nothing like a good rub down with a towel after a hard run!


Moving forward to the mid '60s, our celebrated coach Alan Robertshaw didn't grace the next photograph but the vest is the same and the trophies are still there!  Sadly not many of us still running.  One interesting fact I discovered recently on that there '"tinterweb" was that I still share a UK 4 x mile record of 18.28.8 with 3 of the lads on this photo from 1965!  Probably because today's young runners run 1500 metres.  Nearly 10 years later I think I'm still wearing the same vest as the one in the '64/65 picture was taken up at the shoulder.                                                                                                 


By 1974 it was fitting me........................

I left SALE HARRIERS in 1975 when I started teaching at St. Bede's in Bradford and had started to settle in Yorkshire.  I rejoined in 2009 as it seemed fitting that in the twilight of my running career I should return to the club where I began. Particularly as 2010 is the club's centenary!   The vest is still the same although the latest version is trimmed in black.  I still have the same amount of hair as in that 1964 photo except that I have to dye it grey nowadays just so that I get the respect we veterans should from the young folk!

No comments:

Post a Comment