Friday 15 January 2010

IT'S ALL GOING DOWN HILL!

     No improvement in the iced slopes of Ben Rhydding, but cleared roads from the railway bridge and up towards Askwith meant that I could stick to the plan of Tuesday hillwork and Friday efforts; going for 4x 1k assisted reps....downhill!  A generous 1k recovery but at least the chosen stretch was one where I could see the few cars about and they could see me.  Had a thought on the run.....about cadence.
     Besides the treadmill I have a concept 2 in the garage and have recently returned to working on it.  A few years ago I used to row quite a lot and I found that weighing only 9 and a half stone  to achieve comparable times with heavier and taller guys in the gym I had to stroke faster. So I'd be frantically pulling backwards and forwards  up to 35/40 per minute compared to them pulling heavy 25/30.  I think we have to accept that  the stride length shortens with age and the arch drops. I am  more of a heel runner than forefoot runner
now as a consequence so I have to really concentrate on a much faster stride and arm cadence to achieve the speed. That's not to say I won't be stretching and exercising to maintain knee lift anh stride length. Honest.
        Yesterday's quiz question.....Antony Bradford was correct with the result of that Zola Budd/ Mary Decker Olympic clash in which the medallists were largely overlooked particularly G.B. silver medallist Wendy Sly.  See his comment for full details......


P.S. I've just had a look at the 60-69 10000 metres lightweight Concept 2 rankings for 2009 for G.B.  Interesting to see an old Valley Stirider colleague, Tony Haygarth, is ranked at 21 with 47:20.8.  Could be a new challenge for me seeing as I can't make the running rankings?!

2 comments:

  1. I must confess to asking Mr Google on this one. I do remember the games, and with the absence of the Russians GB came 3rd in the medal table. Apparently GB also had a silver medal in the 10000 meters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the precision in your response that gave you away, Antony! Yes, Mike McLeod of Elswick Harriers won silver in 28:06.2. His son Ryan is running for Tipton at the moment.

    ReplyDelete