Saturday 26 December 2009

WHY DO I RUN HERE.............


I wish I could claim to have written the poem here but
I will immediately dispel that thought from your head.
I actually discoverd it in a very tiny gift shop in Es Migjorn Gran,  a small village on the island of Menorca.

   It came to mind whilst bashing out a pretty solitary
12 mile run on Christmas Day on quiet country lanes
cleared of snow, devoid of cars and enjoyed in beautiful
warming sunshine. Until the last mile of course running back up to the top of our part of town where we won't see the sun for several more weeks.  Wish I'd bought
a house on the sunny side of Ilkley.  Still the views do compensate.
  So despite all ,the week has gone pretty well. All but 2 miles on tarmac.  However, I am reaquanting myself with some old favourite runs which I used to do from the shop.
  Today, a 6 miler up to and through Denton village. Again on perfectly clear roads. The mile up to the farm up there was always ideal for long hill reps.  So for the first time for many years didn't see any of the local big holiday race, the CHEVIN CHASE. Not really fair on my dear mother in law to have her stood on outside the Royalty catching her death of cold               
                                                 Have scanned the excellent photos of  Running Bear,  underfoot conditions looked as bad as forecast, let's hope no one suffered badly falling. .  Amazing some of the outfits.  Think the guy who ran as a full size Christmas tree took some beating.  Meanwhile others just wore vests and shorts as they would for a race in August!  
                               The rest of the poem......................



Think it was written by Billy............Billy No Mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment