Thursday 31 December 2009

WHO MOVED THE GOALPOSTS?

The last session of the calendar year and indeed of the decade was a memorable one.  A long hill session (4 x 6 minutes) completed in near perfect conditions.  A fairly bright morning without a hint of a breeze on a snow free incline with only one car to cope with for the whole of the hill session. A tremendous venue.
Going back to the review and evaluation of 2009................................................


Yes, I know the feeling, Nobby. (Stiles, Man. Utd.)
I remember when I was a P.E. teacher I put out an under 13 football team and they lost 5-1.  I'm sure they were disappointed but believe me I felt positively sick inside.   In comparison, the good thing about running races is that we all know there will only be one outright winner.  We never really "lose". Even the last person to finish might have run a P.B.! I was fortunate to win  plenty of races as a kid and was lucky enough to win a few races as a "senior".  But for most of us all we can do is strive for a good placing, perhaps even a first, in our age group, or a  time good enough to qualify for UK ranking or that elusive P.B.  Obviously, I'm well past P.B.s but position wise, I managed to hit top 3 M60s in all races from May. Arncliffe 4 was my only first but that was hardly a major event, was it?
As for race times I set the athletics data ranking marks as targets so  when the Power of 10 people moved the goalposts on the qualifyling times as previously mentioned it was a touch disappointung to find my qualifying times wouldn't now count. Having said that I wouldn't have made even top 100 for any distance, except possibly the half, so academic really.   I competed in 19 races in 2009; 5 more than 2008. So that again was pleasing. 
                                        But going back to being a teacher .....
                          END OF YEAR REPORT FOR T.M.W. LONERGAN 
     Whilst showing a good degree of consistency in his application throughout the year, he failed    to concentrate on personal aims and objectives for 2/3 of the year. Latterly, however, he would seem to have refocussed,  as reflected in recent results,  and this augurs well for 2010.   

                                                  

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Mr & Mrs L. Hope you enjoyed the night and best wishes for 2010. Sarah X

    ReplyDelete