Tuesday 3 November 2009

PLANES, TRAINS AND THE ALEXANDRA PARK 5K


Saturday. Midnight. Blurred. Into bed away in Reddish, near Stockport after celebrating mother's 90th birthday with family. Inevitably drank too much despite intentions. 4 a.m. Noise! Planes, trains, heavy rain, strong winds.
Do not feel well at all! Too much to drink or was that duck off? 5.45 a.m. manage to get back to sleep.
9.30 a.m. Decision time. Look out, grey, wet ,windy. Can I be bothered too drive to Whalley Range to race the 5k?  I know if I don't I'll still go for a run so I decide to travel; at least I can have a run with a bit of company.  Not many at the park. I pay the £2 entry fee (over 60s discount!) and start my usual 2 mile warm up.  Potholed on the long straight outside my old school, (as pictured here)  St.Bede's College Whalley Range, but should be OK with care.  Actually feel surprisingly good despite the bad night so decide to race as normal.  Last as usual to join the small field of 65 and slip into place behind the young guns at the front.  Shake hands with fellow retailer Tony Hulme (Running Bear) and know immediately that I won't be first over 60 to finish!   Cautious start as per usual.....4.11...
maintain pace as the quick starters slow down...4.14....going through nicely.....4.14......into a large void..
well away in front...see Tony edging away....gap behind......4.16.....turn again to see I'm being closed down
by fit looking young man with intent! It's just the spur I need. I accelerate to hold him off. Last 1k and he's really going for it, but he never quite comes alongside. Going through 4k, I calculate I need 4.04 to do 21.00.
I just manage to outsprint him.  Given 21.01 on the results sheet. 20th of 65. Tony H. 19th in 20.26.
Rchard Collins (Wigan Tri) 21st in 21.02.  Sadly the organisers do not show age groups on the results; I mentioned it and they said they "would have a word".   Having run 20.50 on this course in September (the races are monthly) I was very pleased in view of the night I'd had and the prevailing weather conditions.
I was glad I stuck to the racing programme as planned as well : as the previous week had been geared up for this 5K.  I don't get very nervous before races anymore but they are still a challenge. On this day I was pleased I'd been a "doer" rather than a watcher!
For details of Alexandra Park 5K events go to http://www.openathletics.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment