Wednesday 11 November 2009

JIGSAW PIECES

For those who are forced to run on the roads in the dark throughout the winter, choosing to run off road on a a fine day such as this would have seemed the obvious choice. However, I felt a 3rd day at less than moderate pace was not the correct piece of the training jigsaw which would fit. So looking for that faster rhythmical pace I alluded  to yesterday, I executed a flat 8 mile road run through the Wharfe Valley. Just a few seconds shy of the target pace of 8.30 at half way, I accelerated as usual to finally average 8.21.  So mission accomplished by 1.10 secs. 

As we sell more and more headtorches in the shops, I can appreciate how frustrated fell runners must feel in the winter having to tread the dreaded tarmac night after night. Headtorch running is certainly becoming increasing popular. Just glad I can run during the day and don't have to resort to such extremes to protect my fragile legs. 

A fruitful afternoon at the desk included sourcing some good books for those Christmas stockings including
Norrie Williamson's "Everyone's Guide To Distance Running", Hal Higdon's , Marathon A-Z. and Charlie Spedding new book, From Last To First; making for some good New Year's reading for some lucky runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment