Monday 16 November 2009

COULDN'T HAVE BEEN ANY EASIER

Easy? Just a reference to the pace for today's run following yesterday's uncontrolled effort.  4 mile relaxed jog entirely on the grass around 41 minutes.  A "rest " day.

Going back to Charlie Spedding. Another easy task was managing to wind him up on one occasion. Not competing anywhere near his level  or indeed living in the North East our paths rarely crossed.  However, I do recall a telephone conversation we had in 1984 after he had achieved his fabulous 3rd in the Olympic marathon behind Carlos Lopes (Portugal, 2:09.21) John Treacy (Ireland 2:09.56) running 2:09.58.  Earlier in the year he had won Houston in 2:11.54 and London 2:09.57.

During the 'phone call, I said I was pleased he was 3rd in Los Angeles.  He said thanks, thinking I was congratulating him.  I said, no I was pleased because it meant we both had the same marathon record for the year.  You have 2 firsts and a third just the same as me.  He was clearly taken aback and none too pleased!
"I won at Houston, London and a medal at Los Angeles! Where were yours then?
"Morecambe, Bradford and Selby, Charlie!" I replied. "You run where you run and I run where I run".
He laughed and finally realised he was having his leg pulled.   "Nice one!" he said.



Of course, in retrospect the laugh was on me.  I won a souvenir plate at Morecambe (2.28) a briefcase for 3rd at Bradford (2.37) and a "ghetto blaster" at Selby (2.28). For his Houston win alone, it was reported he won £14,000 in cash and £70,000 in a life insurance policy.    Check out my unbridled joy and enthusiasm at receiving said souvenir Olympic plate. Every picture tells a story! 

2 comments:

  1. The picture had me in creases. Will you do Bradford in 2010 though?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Highly unlikely, Simon. If....and it's a big if..I ever do another one it will probably be flat or possibly a BMAF championship race. Next year's is in April in Lochabar. See how the winter goes. If you are doing Blackpool marathon trust you will be doing the Great North Western half as a build up race on the same course? Glad to see you're running well judging by your Preston result and form over those last few miles.

    ReplyDelete